Colmar France is in the Alsace Region boarding Germany and Switzerland. The pedestrian only town center of pastel colored half-timbered homes and cobblestone streets was the inspiration for Disney’s Beauty and the Beast. Take a walk through the cobble stoned La Grand-Rue to understand why this town is so often described as a fairy tale.
Colmar France is a must experience at Christmas. The Marché de Noël runs for six weeks; it opens in November and runs until January 6th. The town center is transformed from fairy tale status to snow globe status with decorations and twinkle lights. Christmas music fills the air and the entire area smells of gingerbread. There is even a mailbox for Santa!
Colmar hosts five Christmas Markets all within close proximity. Sip mulled wine while browsing the market stalls and be sure to have a sugar pretzel. Most stalls are cash only. Spend some time ice skating and do not miss the live Nativity Scene. Visit on a Wednesday or Saturday to observe child choirs singing carols from illuminated boats in Petite Venise. Even the Alsace Vineyards participate and decorate their cellars for the season.
Things to do in Colmar France:
- Ride Le Petit Train through the cobble stoned La Grand-Rue
- Wander the canals and bridges of Petite Venise
- Take a photo from the bridge at Pont Rue de Turenne
- Check out the architecture of Maison Pfister, la Maison des Têtes and Koifhus
- Visit the Musée Unterlinden and St Martin’s Church
- See the Statue of Liberty Replica and learn about the sculptor at Musée Bartholdi
- Stroll through Champ de Mars Park
- Eat at Jadis et Gourmande
- Have quiche at Marche Couvert market hall
- Grab a pastry at Pâtisserie Gilg or chocolates at Choco en Têtes
- Tour the Alsace Wine Route
- Tour the surrounding Château’s
Pin it for Later!